Pages

Thursday 15 May 2014

Floral frenzy Moneta


Let me start with a sentence I thought I'd never use. I made a dress and the fit was spot on, straight from the envelope! No alterations, no FBA, the waistline of the bodice is hitting me on my true waist, even the length of the skirt was fine. My, can't remember the last time that happened. If there ever was such a lucky time. Turns out the Moneta dress is just as wonderful a pattern as the Mabel skirt, Colette patterns and Alyson Clair nailed it again!

In my earlier post I expressed my doubt about the print of this fabric. This week's theme for Project Sewn and the sew along, Floral frenzy, gave me the push to step out of my comfort zone. And I'm so glad I did! 



It's a happy dress and the thought of running around in a dress with flowers as big as a dinner plate makes me smile. It's a very comfortable dress, feels like wearing loungewear but still looking like you made some effort ;)


As said I made no alterations regarding the fit, but I made some changes in the finish. The instructions tell you to turn 3/8" at the neckline and hem it by using a twin needle. Since I don't like the tram rails effect of twin needles and coverstitch machines I handstitched the turned hem.


I also hemmed the sleeves and skirts by hand. The next picture shows the finished hemline, and the testdrive results with the twin needle. I prefer the clean look and I don't mind some relaxing hand stitching.



For the floral theme I dug up some shoes with flowers, bought a few years ago during a city trip in Lille, France.


What else can I say about the construction of this dress? Clear elastic is used to shirr the skirt and stabilize the waist seam at the same time. I never used this method before but it was easy and works really well.


 I think it's time for some more experiments with prints!


O dear. No pockets, no doggy treats! Sorry! 
(I skipped the pockets deliberately, don't need anything adding bulk to my hips. This disappointed look of the Furry Assistant makes me reconsider)

Never mind, can be fixed in the next Moneta. Sure, there will be a next!

Flower power greetings to you all!

20 comments:

  1. This turned out superb! I love everything about it!!! ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress. And you need pockets...how can you cope with that little face?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't cope with it, and she knows that only too well ;)

      Delete
  3. Very pretty and festive to wear! You need to make a matching bag for doggie treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go overboard on flowery accessories! Pattern recommendations are welcome!

      Delete
  4. Oh My Goodness! I'm visiting via Project Sewn, and I adore your dress! You look fabulous! It's my first visit here, and I look forward to reading a few posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Sue! I'm starstruck! Would you believe there's even a picture of you in my sewing room? Really, that awesome pink paisley jacket of yours is on my mood board! I always admire your use of colour so a compliment coming from you is much appreciated!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely colourful dress. It suits you so well and fits perfectly. The shoes are gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! This dress will get a lot of wear!

      Delete
  6. Your complete outfit is absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorothy! At first I had my doubts about the fabric, knowing this was a 'love it or hate it' kind of project. I'm really happy with the outcome!

      Delete
  7. Forgot to mention that downloading was quite a job this time. Since plus sizes were added (and apparently drafted from different slopers so they could not be nested) the number of pattern pieces on the sheets doubled. This means the finished pattern sheet was 55 pages and 1.30 x 1.65 m wide for just version 3! I even had to go out for extra glue;) Maybe I overlooked the possibility to print regular sizes only? But I got there in the end and it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's turned out beautifully and you wear it well - the shoes absolutely make the outfit (and the toe nail polish as well :). You can certainly wear the bright colours well, they are not wearing you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah Liz! Although the print is very loud, most of the colours are midtones. The low neckline certainly helps getting away with it too!

      Delete
  9. Stunning! I love the dress, pattern, pattern of the fabric! You look fabulous! The shoes complete the outfit. You always have a belt with a small pocket for dog's treats ;-)
    Ant the scenery of the pictures - just FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beata! I just dug up a small red leather bag from years ago, perfect solution!

      Delete
  10. Colette is kinda known for having absolutely giant PDF patterns... I think the Zinnia sirt was 70+pages? I hope they streamline that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look GREAT in that pattern! (Both the print and the Moneta!) You need more of those in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! Finding the right fabric is not that easy though. I think for this dress the colors, saturation, scale of the print, amount of stretch and drape were what made it a success. Most fabrics I found so far only score three or four out of these five :( but I keep looking!

      Delete