Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Negroni, the big reveal



I enjoyed every minute working on this pattern. It came together like a dream, my seamripper stayed in its box during the entire project. The inside of the shirt looks very sharp and clean with it´s flatfelled seams. For more construction details read here.


The construction of the sleeve plackets looked a bit complicated at first, but after applying some origami folds as described in the instruction it almost sewed itself.


Contrasting fabric was also used on the inner back yoke, the inner cuffs and inner pocket flaps.


At the hem of the sideseams I added little contrast pieces. I drafted a little patternpiece to mirror the form of the sleeve plackets.                                                                                                                   


Men and buttons. I really sewed that second button from the bottom, dear!
Testdrive! For my 6 foot 5 inches tall husband (1.95 m) I decided to make size XL, based on the size chart. I somehow could not imagine long and patient fitting sessions in my sewing room, so I asked him to hand over his favorite shirt so I could work from there. Even after all my measuring and comparing the Negroni ended up a little big. And, for the first time ever: the sleeves were TOO LONG! (Even after shortening them with almost an inch). Next time, and I'm pretty sure there will be a next time, I will go one size down.



My husbands verdict on the shirt: nice feel, great finish: 'I think this will be my new favourite!' For the second Negroni he asked for some more.... extravaganza. The next Negroni will be even more bright and detailed. Well, count me in!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new blog!
    Great shirt and beautiful color combination.
    I'm looking forward to see your next project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Coming soon: two dresses and Colette's Sorbetto.

      Delete