Pages

Wednesday 16 September 2015

Review Knipmode October 2015


Bamm! While I'm in still in the middle of sewing up two patterns from the September issue of Knipmode the new October magazine arrived. Another 25 patterns and six DIY projects. This trial subscription is a killing me, as patterns land in my sewing room at a much higher pace than I will ever be able to sew them up! Ahh, what's new.

As I described in last month's review over at the Curvy Sewing Collection all patterns come in European sizes 34-54 now, that's 83-131 cm bust, 67-113 cm waist and 92-138 cm hip. So far the patterns I've worked with are looking very good. More on that next week I hope.
Over to the October issue.

source: Knipmode

Happy hippie. Okay, been there, done that, so...Never mind famous fashion rules. I need that bootcut jeans she's hiding behind that bag, even though the technical drawing makes it look like it was designed for Rowdy Yates. Yeehaw! Fringe, boho, seventies vibes and some poncho's in the DIY section make this collection spot on trend.



The inspiration for the next set of patterns comes from Mondriaan, Miro and Andy Warhol. Really?

source: Knipmode

I'm not impressed by the (ab)use of big names for pretty basic patterns. Picking bright prints for random patterns doesn't exactly make this an 'Art work collection' but the individual patterns look okay if you're into the style.

Source: Knipmode


Nature and animal prints, theme of the next collection. Here the photography and styling really helps to make the patterns stand out. I think the pattern designers succeeded in making a collection where all ages, all body types and sizes can find something that works. The timeless faux wrap dress is on my to-sew list, as well as my favourite pattern from this issue, a jacket with interesting seam lines:



Or how about a jacket inspired by Dior's New Look?



More contenders to make it to the sewing table chez Foxgloves:

A simple yet stylish coat and a knit dress with lots of fitting opportunities.




All patterns marked with a red @ are available as downloads in the Knipmode pattern store. When I asked the editorial staff why there's only a selection available as pdf they replied it is a cost issue. Only patterns that add something extra to the available pdf-collection make the cut. So far the online shop is merely aimed at the home market, which I suppose isn't very big. The price of a pdf is 2/3 of the price of a magazine. When in doubt, we buy the magazine. Exploring new markets might result in new business plans for pdf's, don't you think?

Another promising Knipmode issue, I say. Now if you don't mind, I hurry back to my sewing room and my growing to-sew list!

15 comments:

  1. Funnily enough I took out a subscription just before your review last month. I find Knipmode more relevant to my lifestyle than Burda. And I'm thrilled they've expanded their sizes. Can't wait for this copy to hit the mat...even if I'm not getting any sewing done at the moment. A girl can dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreaming is good and so is building a fine collection of patterns for when you get back to sewing! Any news on the house deal yet?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I agree. Certainly not a dime a dozen pattern!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review! This issue does not look very exciting to me, same as the October Burda... Maybe because the creation of the issue is usually 1-2 months ahead and it's difficult to the people to think about the garments for the transitional season :) I agree with you on the jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep an eye on the November issue, Inna. I've seen a preview of a very interesting collection by two young designers. Very edgy, including corsets, party dresses and tops. I think you'll love it!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I really like a lot of the patterns in this issue. Thank you for sharing these previews! I'm seriously tempted to order this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good deal! I'll do my best to make this a monthly post :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Marianne, thank you for this review! I bought the famous May 2015 issue, attracted by the separate "plus size" supplement. It was by pure chance, during a layover at Schipol, and I must say I like their designs better than Burda's (and in some cases better than some indie designers'). I have made a blazer so far, and found out that I have to go one size down than my usual. What I don't like is that they design a lot for stretch cotton, which is fine for me but very difficut to find in fabric shops around here (I live in Toulouse, France), so I'm always hesitant about the result if I make the garments in non-stretch. Anyway, your reviews (this one and the previous on CSC) are precious, I hope you keep doing them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara! I agree on the stretch cotton, and there is so much variety in this fabric as well. You can tackle the fit on jeans, only to find your next pair is a wadder because of similar looking stretch cotton behaving differently. Ask me how I know :( Sometimes it's even more generic: this garment can only be made of stretch fabrics. As in a 2% for comfort, or is the pattern designed with negative ease and do I need a two way stretch jersey? I'm glad the reviews are useful, I 'll keep doing them as long as I can find the time!

      Delete
  6. Again some interesting patterns in this issue. Knip is so much more on trend than they used to be. Hope they keep this up!
    My favorites are the lammy coat and the jacket from the animal collection. The fringe jacket is tempting too. Bit outspoken, but if the trend catches on I would definitely want to make one.
    Is the scarf from the cover a knit pattern, or did they use fabric for it? I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fabric and it's only a bike ride away: zigzag tricot from Nanucci Tessuti!

      Delete
  7. ik kocht deze knip als cadeautje voor mezelf omdat ik op burendag op zaterdag moest werken :) was lang geleden dat ik er eentje kocht maar ik vond deze zo leuk dat ik het proefabonnement van een tientje heb genomen. Rokje 11 vind ik erg leuk, en de lange jas en ook de spijkerbroek. Al moest ik wel even nadenken wat ze met 'rekbare stof' bedoelen... ik dacht eerst een spijkerbroek van tricot (huh) maar bedacht later pas dat dat ook stretch jeans kan zijn natuurlijk :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik vond 'm ook erg leuk en lig een maand op je voor met het proef abonnement ;) De aanduiding 'rekbare stof' is inderdaad nogal een ruim begrip. Vooral bij de jurken en tops vraag ik me soms af of ze een stabiele stof als ponte bedoelen of een soepele jersey. Ben ook nog een beetje aan het zoeken naar de juiste maat!

      Delete