Pages

Friday 8 August 2014

Holiday fabric shopping



During summer there's always a battle going on between my foxgloves and my thimbles: the garden and the sewing room are fighting for my attention on a daily basis! Those of you who follow me on Instagram may have noticed an awful lot of harvesting, weeding and planting going on. Not that I'm complaining! Freshly picked black currants, raspberries, apples and blackberries make very good desserts and I baked a lot of pies. So, add a wonderful summer with warm, sunny days to the mix and you'll understand the garden won the first round.

But things are slowly changing. There has been some fabric shopping! This digital rose print was love at first sight. It's like you can touch the petals, feel the velvety surface and smell the rose fragrance. It's a stretch cotton and some day soon it will become a pencil skirt.

It's the first digital print that found it's way into my stash but it was soon followed by another piece. This next one is the 'love it or hate it' type of fabric. Warning, one might consider it a liiiiiitttttle bit over the top.



Yeah, it's LOUD! Like the designer could not stop adding features. Flowers? Check! Birds? Done! More birds? Why not? Antique vases? Yep! O, why not throw in some leopards?

As ridiculous as this print is, I just could not get it out of my head. 
When fabric speaks, I obey.
So, perhaps Moneta #3? 
To be continued!


3 comments:

  1. They can be pretty irresistible! Purchasing fabric involves an emotional response. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! I'm not very good at online fabric shopping. Just need to touch the fabric, feel the drape and judge the colour by daylight. Lots of Dutch fabric stores closed down in recent years so it's becoming harder to find what I'm looking for!

      Delete
  2. I'm an old school fabric shopper, mostly buying in bricks and mortar stores and on markets. The roses come from a store in the historic town of Deventer. They do have a website (www.javro.nl), but their webshop is still under construction. The crazy print was bought at a market stall and was sold out within a week. I checked both fabrics for information on the selvedges, but there isn't any, sorry I can't be of more help!

    ReplyDelete