Pages

Tuesday 7 October 2014

French jacket: the final preparations


A year ago I was ready to start a French jacket. At least, that's what I thought. Finished my muslin, bought fabric, lining and thread and with some relatively quiet weeks at work ahead I was all set to join the sewalong. Uh oh. By the time I got to the second blogpost I found out I needed silk organza, silk basting thread and a walking foot. My usual fabric suppliers gave me the side eye when I asked for such fancy stuff. Silk what?? 

The age of my good old sewing machine, anno 1987, complicated the search for a walking foot. Never mind, I had to wait anyway for my basting silk to arrive from Japan and the silk organza from Hong Kong. In the meantime I tracked down an old school walking foot. It came at the price of two new sewing machines at Ikea. Eeek! I'm happy to report though it's worth every penny. 

The magic time slot passed and the project was put in a box. Pandora's box ready to be opened when I had lots and lots of sewing time. When pigs fly.
In short that's why I'm working on a summer jacket now. Because I discovered there's never a right time for such a big project. And if there's never a right time, there's also never a wrong time! At least that's what I keep telling myself. Don't laugh. 

Next I made a muslin, but forgot to take pictures of me wearing it. This is rapidly turning into a real success story ;) I tweaked the muslin and then took it apart. After removing the seam allowances the muslin was used as working pattern.


As I was cutting a single layer I needed the biggest working space I could think of: the garden table.


With a forecast of heavy showers my time outside was limited. To be continued!


6 comments:

  1. I love watching your progress (and seeing that I'm not the only one who never finished their jacket!). I actually have mine to the point the body is together and the lining is sewn in place. I'm balking at the button holes and I've just about decided not to trim. I just can't find trim that seems to fit the jacket. You're giving me incentive to get back on it.

    I Love that blue boucle you are working with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ramona! Last week I checked the Flickr group to see if you and Belinda ever showed pictures of your finished jacket. I'd like to see your work in progress! I don't need button holes but I will use trim. I have several options in mind and will decide later, when the jacket is taking shape. I'll keep an eye on your blog. We can do this!

      Delete
  2. Hi Marianne, It's a good thing that you've already blown your schedule, because these things always take forever, and now you can relax about it. I can relate to cutting on the table--I'm usually on the floor! Whenever you finish it is fine, because you'll wear it forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! There is no schedule and therefore the sewing is very relaxed. To keep a bit of pressure on I'm telling myself not to start anything new before this jacket is finished. Not that I could if I wanted. Marked pieces of boucle and lining are all over the place, ideas for trim up on the walls and I have to move carefully because even the floor is used for laying out muslin pattern pieces!

      Delete
  3. I never grow tired of seeing these jackets evolve! They really become part of your life - and when finished, add even more. Yours is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only hope so! It's by far the most carefully planned project I have ever made and I enjoy every step so far!

      Delete