Pages

Tuesday 28 February 2017

Finished faux collar



Recently my oldest daughter told me she was looking for a faux collar, or half shirt, dickey, hoaxer or whatever you'd like to call it. She sent me an inspiration picture of these cute collars, made by the Dutch brand Idiot du Village.


 Knipmode December 2016 happened to have a mix & match blouse pattern, one of the views being this gem:





DD1 is living 1,5 hours away from me and has a very busy schedule so fitting sessions can be hard to arrange. For this pattern I didn't foresee any issues so I just guessed her size and added 3 cm to the length as she's 1.82 cm / 6' tall. I knew she wanted to wear the collar under a slim fit rayon top (not the one pictured above) so I chose a cotton batiste. The bodice is self lined for a clean finish. To keep it light and soft I used silk organza as interfacing for the collar, collar stand and button band.




If I'd make this again I would probably change the separate button bands for a cut on facing for an even smoother effect.



I think next time I could go down a size to 36. I would also add a few centimeters to the the shoulder width now that I've seen it in action while worn with a chunky sweater with a wider v-neck. Check the little gap on the right:




It was a fun project to make and the pattern went together well.
KnipmodeChallenge2017: 2 down, 10 to go!

To continue this selfless sewing story: back in January I posted a picture on Instagram of a silk organza pressing cloth I made for myself to replace the one I had accidentally cut up. To prevent further klutz action I serged it with hot pink thread for easy identification. Much to my surprise I saw a message from my daughter in the comments, hinting that she would love to get a similar one as a birthday present. She doesn't have a dedicated sewing space so I made a little zipper bag to store it near her ironing board.




It was my very first time using a rotary cutter and I was trying so hard not to hurt myself in the process that I completely forgot to take pictures. (I'm not sold on the scary tool)

Luckily thanks to daughter's boyfriend we have the birthday pictures and a few very artistic shots of the project!







Don't you love the matching tulips?


7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inna. I'm not the world's fastest blogger: her birthday was five weeks ago!

      Delete
  2. You did a wonderful job with the dickey and the little bag is adorable. Your daughter is gorgeous by the way. Hope she had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both great projects. I love the bag for the pressing cloth (and the cloth too). I really like my rotary cutters. I can't use them in class and feel quite bereft there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in team Scissors! Maybe a bit of practice can make me change my mind for small projects but certainly not for dressmaking!

      Delete
  4. The dickie is really cute and such a useful piece of clothing. Love the thoughtful gift for your daughter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I'm tempted to make one for myself too to wear with boring tops.

      Delete