Pages

Monday 7 July 2014

Lace Moneta



A few weeks ago I wanted to make a new dress for a special occasion. Sometimes I select a pattern before buying fabric but his time the fabric led the way. When I discovered this blue stretch lace I knew it would be perfect for a Moneta dress.
I underlined the bodice with a very lightweight jersey in dark navy.




 All seam allowances were catch stitched to the underlining. These are the shoulder seams, you can see the clear elastic used for stabilizing sticking out on the right side.




For the sleeves I used a single layer of the lace, the neckline was turned under as per the instructions and also hand stitched to the underlining, a nice and clear finish.




This dress is a remake of my Floral frenzy Moneta, with a slightly more scooped out neckline on the front. The neckline is staying nicely in place, even when I'm bending over to reward the furry assistant. 




For the skirt I chose to use separate layers to keep a flowy effect. In order to prevent extra bulk at the waistline and hips I drafted a straight skirt for the lining. Both skirts have French seams. I gathered the lace overskirt and sewed both skirts to the bodice, adding clear elastic.



Easy to make, a pleasure to wear!


17 comments:

  1. Stunning!! You look lovely and your attention to detail really shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty! Sometimes the details are really slowing me down, but I like it that way.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! That lace is just lovely and the color is perfect on you, Marianne. You always make the loveliest pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. Although I'm not too sure about my next project!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning. I love that colour. Just perfect. And your little furball is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evie! That furball never likes to sit and have her picture taken, unless I bring out the tripod. Then she's all over the place, trying to steal the show. I guess it's the beep in the remote...

      Delete
  4. Oh, so lovely! I love your blog header and your garden is beautiful, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Homegrown foxgloves and vintage thimbles that once belonged to my grandmother are special images representing my passions. Last year, when I was thinking about a blog name, I was just in time to grab the last foxglove and take this picture :)

      Delete
  5. It looks so beautiful, and very flattering! Excellent job putting it all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. It helped so much there was no fitting battle and I could concentrate on the sewing process!

      Delete
  6. Really lovely dress! Found it on the CCC. It must be great to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I meant was CSC . . . Curvy Sewing Collective

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is very inspiring :) i just made my first Monetta and am planning two more ��. I didn't have any clear elastic (neither did the fabric store) so I used regular. Next time I'll order the clear because the regular made a hard ridge that I have to cover with a belt. Was it difficult to line the bodice (version 1) and add a sleeve? I'd like to do that but don't see how to turn the bodice. Do you leave the sleeve edge unfinished and insert the sleeve as usual pretending the two layers are really only one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bodice of this dress was underlined, in order to prevent the side seams from showing through the lace. Both layers were then treated as one and the lace neckline was simple folded over. After setting in the sleeves I catch stitched the seam allowances to the underlining for a clean finish. My third Moneta ( the green one) had a lined bodice and thus a different neckline finish.

      Delete